Nutritionists will tell you that the best way to have a healthy eating life is to have several small meals a day. This includes some well-balanced and yummy snack to tie you over from one meal to the next. It doesn’t take much to satiate your appetite between meals, but you want the snacks to be easy to make and fun.
Here are 5 easy to make snacks for home and parties.
1. Fruit skewers and yogurt dip – using wooden skewers or even long tooth picks, cut chunks of yummy fruits like strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, and blue berries. Thread them on the skewer and serve with a variety of yogurt flavors as dips. Also, add a dip of chocolate or caramel to sweeten things up even more.
2. Trail mix – this is always a snack time winner. Mix your favorite dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and small candies together. Apricots, cranberries, and pomegranates are great to mix with peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, M&M’s or mini chocolate kisses. Each mouthful is a combination of flavor sensations from salty to sweet to savory and crunchy.
3. Mini sandwiches – use a variety of small breads like mini croissants, appetizer sized rye bread, or small buns. Mix up a batch of homemade chicken salad or egg salad to spread out for guests or kids returning home from school. You can even roll up deli meats of turkey, roast beef, bologna, or salami and serve in mini form.
4. Nachos – who doesn’t love a warm plate of tortilla chips covered in melted cheese? A plate of nachos will serve many people and have them coming back for more. Spread your favorite tortilla chips on an oven safe plate and then completely smother in shredded Mexican cheese. Cook in the oven or microwave to fully melt the cheese. Optional additions to the plate would be scattering cooked ground beef (can add taco seasoning to it as it cooks), or grilled chicken pieces. Add sliced jalapenos or black olives (not everyone will want to eat those) on the side, and provide dips of fresh salsa and sour cream.
5. Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs – here’s something to kick up any party or snack time. Take six eggs and hard boil them. Cool, shell and then cut lengthwise, reserving the yolk in a separate dish. Add one fourth cup of mayonnaise, one tablespoon of finely grated/shredded cheddar cheese, one teaspoon spicy brown mustard, and 4 slices of crisply cooked bacon crumbled up. With a fork, break up the cooked yolks and then mix in the mayonnaise, bacon, cheese, and mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mixture into the egg white cups and then serve.
Snacks don’t have to take up a lot of your time to taste good and these fun food ideas can also be used at parties like baby showers and outdoor picnics. So next time you have people over or just need a